Glabellar Frown Lines
Are you tired of looking angry, annoyed or irritated all the time?
Smooth out your wrinkles with botulinum toxin injections. Natural results.
what are glabellar frown lines?
Glabellar frown lines are visible lines or wrinkles between your eyebrows. They often convey a constant state of anger, annoyance, irritation to those around. While it is something that gets more common with age, it may affect the way we look and feel about ourselves. Botulinum toxin injections have proven to be safe and effective to ease out those frown lines.
HOW DOES DR.NG TREATs glabellar wrinkles
Since FDA approval in 2001, botulinum toxins to the glabellar region is one of the most popular aesthetic treatments. With precise injections, Dr. Ng believes that an approach that takes into account your glabellar wrinkle type, anatomy and other facial features will provide a natural result. When injected into the muscle directly, the muscles relax over 7-14 days improving the appearance of both resting and active movement lines. A tailored approach prevents the “frozen”, unnatural look, while also providing long lasting results.
how do you get glabellar frown lines?
Wrinkles appear on the skin due to repetitive muscle activity. These lines or wrinkles that appear are usually perpendicular to the direction of muscle contraction. Glabellar frown lines take on different patterns in individuals, they may appear vertical (number ’11’ lines), horizontal and even oblique.
which muscles are involved?
The main muscles involved in the glabellar frown complex are interconnected and a deep knowledge of the anatomy, pattern and variation is essential to plan your treatment.
The 3 main muscles involved are:
- Procerus muscle that mainly functions to pull the inner eyebrows downwards, contributing to horizontal lines.
- Corrugator supercili muscles that pulls the inner eyebrows inwards and downwards. They are mainly involved in causing the number ’11’ vertical lines.
- Forehead (frontalis) muscles that may affect the upper brow region.
what are the types of glabellar frown lines?
There are 5 variants of glabellar frown lines. While the V- and U-patterns are most commonly encountered, the most important aspect is a customised approach to treatment due to individual variation of frown lines.
when should you seek help?
Wrinkles often start off as mild, and progresses to moderate and then severe in appearance. Wrinkles are considered dynamic when they appear with facial expression, but disappear when the face is relaxed. At the other end of the spectrum, static wrinkles are visible even when the facial muscles are at rest.
Upper facial wrinkles have been associated with negative self-perception, altered perception of age and emotional state and adverse psychological impact.
Botulinum toxin injection for glabellar frown lines are most suitable for dynamic wrinkles. While many of our patients have at least moderate to severe glabellar lines, we believe that early intervention can reduce the progression of early wrinkles.
How do you treat glabellar frown lines?
Glabellar frown lines that are dynamic in nature are best treated with botulinum toxin injections. Results are often visible within 24-48 hours, with the best results being seen in 7-14 days. Most individuals will see long term improvement of at least 3-4 months.
After your face is cleansed, a numbing cream is applied for your comfort. You will feel a slight sensation during treatment but is tolerable for most patients.
The current FDA-approved and HSA-approved Botulinum toxin brands in Singapore are:
- Botox (OnabotulinumtoxinA)
- Dysport (AbobutulinumtonxA)
- Xeomin (IncobotulinumtoxinA)
These botulinum toxin type A toxins havesimilar onset of action, takes about a week to achieve results and effects lasts three to five months for cosmetic use for facial wrinkles.
The differences mainly lie in the preparation, dilution and the number of units. The units used in one brand is not interchageable with another due to different formulations and preparation.
From multiple studies, the treatment is safe with minimal downtime in the majority of patients. The most common side effect is transient headache which is mostly mild and responds to painkillers. Eyelid ptosis, which occurs in less than 2% of cases is often self-limiting and reponds to eyedrops.
During consultation, an aesthetic assessment will take into account the pattern of contraction, the muscle mass and the surrounding facial anatomy. Depending on your unique condition, injection points vary from 3, 5 and 7 points.
The number of units or dose injected into the glabellar area depends on factors such as anatomy, muscle mass, age, gender and ethnicity. Generally, men will need higher doses, and elderly lesser doses. Depending on the brand, the typical number of units used:
- Botox (OnabotulinumtoxinA): 20 units
- Dysport (AbobutulinumtonxA): 50 units
- Xeomin (IncobotulinumtoxinA): 20 units
Studies have shown that treating multiple facial wrinkles are associated with improved outcomes. For example, simultaneous treatment of lateral canthal lines (crow’s feet) and glabellar (frown lines) revealed better benefit.
This would depend on the individual skin condition, skin quality and age.
The objectives for younger patients would be to prevent the worsening of the wrinkes, delay the aging process and maintaining a youthful look.
Apart from wrinkles, facial aging also encompasses soft tissue deflation and changes to the underlying supportive bony tissues. Age related treatment goals must therefore take into account these changes. A multimodality approach with Botox, fillers, lasers and energy based devices are tools to holistically improve your facial appearance at every stage.
Individuals with the following conditions are not suited for Botulinum toxin treatment. These include:
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Pregnancy or planning to get pregnant
- Infection to the area to be injected
- Botulinum toxin or its additive allergies
- Bleeding disorders or on anticoagulants
- Drugs such as aminoglycosides and calcium channel blockers
The price of botulinum toxin wrinkle treatment per area is from $250 per visit.
A review is done within 2 weeks, and a touch up is done free of charge within this time if necessary.
schedule a consultation for glabellar frown line treatment in singapore
Botulinum toxin injections is an exceptional procedure that offers incredible, lasting results, especially when offered by an experienced injector such as Dr. Ng. Offering a customized treatment for each patient, Dr. Ng combines multiple treatments, techniques, and products to help each patient meet their individual goals.
- Cotofana S, Pedraza AP, Kaufman J, Avelar LE, Gavril DL, Hernandez CA, Onishi EC, Nikolis A, Sakuma T, Frank K. Respecting upper facial anatomy for treating the glabella with neuromodulators to avoid medial brow ptosis—A refined 3‐point injection technique. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2021 Jun;20(6):1625-33.
- Camargo CP, Xia J, Costa CS, Gemperli R, Tatini MD, Bulsara MK, Riera R. Botulinum toxin type A for facial wrinkles. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2021(7).
- Sundaram H, Signorini M, Liew S, de Almeida AR, Wu Y, Braz AV, Fagien S, Goodman GJ, Monheit G, Raspaldo H, Global Aesthetics Consensus Group. Global aesthetics consensus: botulinum toxin type A—evidence-based review, emerging concepts, and consensus recommendations for aesthetic use, including updates on complications. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2016 Mar;137(3):518.