Pore Size Reduction
Refresh the appearance of your skin by reducing pore size.
Improve skin texture, enhance rejuvenation and restore your skin back to health.
What is Pore Size Reduction?
Pore size reduction really depends on the depth of the existing pores, your skin type and associated dermatological conditions. For individuals with mildly enlarged pores, topical therapy in the form of retinoids, and glycolic acid chemical peels can be considered. For moderate to severe enlarged pores treatment; TCA CROSS, non-ablative lasers, and fractional resurfacing lasers and energy based devices such as RF microneedling are available.
HOW DR.NG TREATS ENLARGED PORES
Dr. Ng’s approach to minimizing the appearance of pores is highly customized to treat each individual’s skin care needs. Dr. Ng’s goal for pore treatments is to address the causes of your enlarged pores, reduce the appearance of pores, and promote long-term improvements in the overall condition and appearance of your skin.
Dr. Ng targets enlarged pores with strategic combinations of skin rejuvenating and/or resurfacing treatments. These patient-specific protocols aim to clear dead skin cells and excess oil from the pores, as well as improve the health of the skin.
Why Do I Get Enlarged Pores?
- Acne: Enlarged pores are a very common concern in the general population and can affect quality of life. For example, many of the individuals that we see in clinic come with acne and also raise concerns with their enlarged pores at the same time. Enlarged pores are visible openings on the skin that correspond to the pilo-sebaceous gland unit opening. The pilo-sebaceous gland unit is also implicated in the disease process of Acne Vulgaris.
- Genetics and UV Radiation: Studies indicate that excessive sebum output contributes to an increased in pore size. Individuals with predominantly oily skin types have larger pores as well. Pore size is also known to enlarge during menstrual cycle of females. Other factors associated with enlarged pores are genetics, hair follicle size, loss of skin elasticity, chronic photo-damage of the skin and ethnicity.
- Ageing: With natural ageing, there is not only a reduction in collagen and elastin, there is also an increase in the enzymatic degradation of these two elements by free radicals. Skin architecture is weakened, and this is why acne scars, enlarged pores and skin laxity becomes more visible with age.
what to expect
benefits of pore treatment
what is the best Pore Size Reduction Treatment?
Pore size reduction treatments are aimed at the underlying cause. The treatments are directed towards lowering sebum output, reducing androgen activity, and stimulating new collagen and elastin formation. A consultation to discuss treatment options and the most suitable procedure is necessary before undertaking any treatments.
Topical retinoid creams (Vitamin A) are an established treatment for acne vulgaris and their antiageing properties. Topical retinoids such as tretinoin exert their effect by normalizing skin cell turnover, demonstrating anti-inflammatory effects and reversing blackheads and whiteheads formation. Retinoids also increases collagen synthesis in the dermal of the skin, improving the skin texture, pores and wrinkles.
Chemical peels such as glycolic acid, which have been used for their skin rejuvenating effects may improve pore size.
Oral treatments are aimed at specific dermatological conditions, where there may be associated enlarged pores. In individuals with severe cystic acne, oral isotretinoin is effective at significantly reducing sebum output by 4-6 weeks. Many report significant and visible improvement in their inflammatory acne, comedomes and enlarged pores during treatment.
Other oral medications reduces sebum production by having an anti-androgen effect. These may include spironolactone and combined oral contraceptive agents and are only prescribed for certain conditions.
TCA CROSS For Enlarged Pores
TCA is short for Trichloroacetic acid. TCA is a medium to deep chemical peel that has been used extensively to treat scars, wrinkles and photo aging. CROSS is an acronym for Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scars.
Dr. Ng uses this advanced specialised technique for icepick scars, deep pores and atrophic acne scars to help restore your skin.
The CROSS technique uses high concentration TCA to denature the proteins at the deeper layers of the skin. This process stimulates collagen synthesis, skin thickening and a resultant improvement in your enlarged pore appearance.
Most individuals will see improvement after 2-4 sessions, and downtime is minimal. Redness and swelling fades in 3-4 days, and scabs come off in about one week.
Laser treatment for pores
The development of lasers and energy based devices over the last few years has reduced significant downtime, and made it safer for most skin types. They essentially work by introducing thermal energy into the skin to remodel dermal collagen. The synthesis and re-organisation of collagen bundles improves skin elasticity, tightens enlarged pores and strengthens the dermal layer of the skin.
With various laser systems such as the Picosecond and Q-Switched laser system, Dr. Ng targets your pores with a combination of laser resurfacing and rejuvenating techniques to minimise your pores and maximise your skin vitality.
RF Microneedle treatment for pores
RF microneedle devices such as INFINI and Genius, pair radiofrequency energy and microneedling in a fractionated pattern to boost collagen, increase elastin and enhance your skin complexion.
These advanced techniques induce collagen without damage to the out layers of your skin making it a safe treatment for all skin types. In addition, you will experience skin tightening, lifting and a visible improvment to your acne scars.
schedule a consultation for pore size reduction treatment in singapore
Contact us today to schedule a consultation, so Dr. Ng can develop a personalized treatment approach to minimize your pores and helping you to achieve long-term improvements in the health and appearance of your skin.
- Joanna Dong et al. Enlarged Facial Pores: An Update on Treatments.Cutis. 2016 July;98(1):33-36
- Sebum output as a factor contributing to the size of facial pores. Br J Dermatol 2006;155:890–4. , , ,
- Sung Bin Cho et al. Efficacy of the Fractional Photothermolysis System With Dynamic Operating Mode on Acne Scars and Enlarged Facial Pores. Dermatol Surg 2009;35: 108–114.
- Puaratanaarunkon T, Asawanonda P. Efficacy of a one-session fractional picosecond 1064-nm laser for the treatment of atrophic acne scar and enlarged facial pores. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2022 Mar 23:1-5.