Skin Tag Removal
- Skin tags are harmless growths that hang from your skin
- They are more common in areas of skin that rub together such as the neck, underarms, breast, groin and eyelids
- They are made of collagen fibres and blood vessels surrounded by skin
- Treatment from $350 onwards
About Skin Tags
Skin tags aka Achorchordons are one the most easily recognizable benign skin growths. They are so common, that as much as 50% of the population have them! They begin as very tiny skin growths about a few millimeters, and grow slowly over time. Skin tags tend to be found predominantly over the neck, underarms, eyelids and groin area. Some skin tags can grow really big due to a rich blood supply feeding it.
The size of skin tags do vary. Typically, they range from 1mm to 1cm. However, giant skin tags that can grow up to 5cm may occur on the buttocks, groin and limbs.
Why Do Skin Tags Occur?
Intermittent skin irritation appears to be a common factor. That is why skin tags frequently occurs at skin folds such as the neck and underarms.
Skin tags are more apparent as we get older, and may be an effect of skin aging. Pregnant women also have higher rates of skin tags which may be hormonally mediated.
Some studies have shown that skin tags are linked to obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes. It is therefore important to go for regular health screenings if you do develop multiple skin tags.
While skin tags are benign and harmless skin growths, they can cause irritation and be a cosmetic nuisance. Some patients with skin tags over the neck are unable to wear necklace as the skin tag may be caught between the chains of the necklace, causing pain and much frustration.
Skin Tag Removal Surgery
There are various methods for skin tag removal surgery, depending on the size and location. Small skin tags are easily removed with a surgical scissor, whereas larger skin tags may require excision. Other options include freezing (using liquid nitrogen) and laser skin tag removal. We usually numb each skin tag with lidocaine (a local anaesthetic) using a fine 30G needle so that the procedure is painless, and the skin tags are subsequently removed resulting in a very small wound and almost no visible scarring. The base of the removed skin tag is electro-cauterised to seal the blood vessels and minimise bleeding. Skin tag removal surgery is a simple office based procedure that can be done under local anaesthesia.
For very large or giant skin tags, we may surgically excised the lesion and send the specimen for histological analysis.
Laser Skin Tag Removal
- Done under Local Anaesthesia
- Suitable for small to medium sized skin tags
- Fast & Effective
- Minimal discomfort & Minimal Scarring
- Low Downtime and Healing within a week
- From $350 onwards
After the procedure, small skin tags heal within a week. For larger skin tags, it may take 10-14 days for healing to take place.
Depending on the size of the skin tags, we may use either numbing cream or a local anaesthetic. The procedure itself is almost painless.
As with most procedures, the risk of bleeding, infection, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, scarring and recurrence do exists, although mild in most cases. A careful post procedural skin care routine and avoiding activities that may increase skin contamination is encouraged.
- Hui ES, Yip BH, Tsang KW, Lai FT, Kung K, Wong SY. Association between multiple skin tags and metabolic syndrome: A multicentre cross-sectional study in primary care. Diabetes Metab. 2016 Apr. 42 (2):126-9.
- Boza JC, Trindade EN, Peruzzo J, Sachett L, Rech L, Cestari TF. Skin manifestations of obesity: a comparative study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011 Sep 20.
- Rasi, A., Soltani-Arabshahi, R. and Shahbazi, N. (2007), Skin tag as a cutaneous marker for impaired carbohydrate metabolism: a case–control study. International Journal of Dermatology, 46: 1155-1159. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2007.03287.x
- Krupa Shankar, Ds et al. “Carbon dioxide laser guidelines.” Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery vol. 2,2 (2009): 72-80. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.58519